27 Jun 13 Quick Ways to Soothe Dry Eyes
Dry eyes are a common condition experienced by millions of people. While occasional redness
and itching can be irritating, chronic cases can cause infection and affect your vision.
Dryness can be caused by many things including aging, certain medications, or binge-watching
TV. The symptoms may include feeling like you have something in your eye, blurred vision, and
sensitivity to light.
Whatever the cause, you can reduce the symptoms of dry eyes and find dry eye relief. Consider
these lifestyle adjustments and effective treatments that will help you stop rubbing your eyes and
worsen your conditions.
Lifestyle Adjustments to Soothe Dry Eyes
1. Blink more. The water, oil, and antibodies in tears moisten your eyes and fight infection.
When you blink, they spread across your eyes in a protective film. Practice full blinks by
gently squeezing your upper and lower lids until they touch, and holding them together for
about 2 seconds.
2. Roll your eyes. Moving your eyes stimulates tear production too. Roll them side to side or
up and down.
3. Massage your eyelids. Place a finger on your upper lid, and gently roll it around in small
circles. The pressure will squeeze tears out of your glands.
4. Change your diet. What you eat affects your eyes. Spicy foods may dry them out, while
some studies show that fish oil from natural sources or supplements can have the opposite
5. Check the weather. Indoor heating and air conditioning both dry out the air so you may
want to adjust your thermostat. You may also be more comfortable if you stay out of drafts
and wear sunglasses when it’s windy.
6. Spend more time off-line. Blinking slows down when you’re staring at computer or TV
screens or even reading books. Take a break every half hour.
7. Remove your contacts. If your contact lenses are the culprit, buy cleaning solutions
formulated for sensitive eyes. Cut down on the number of hours you wear your lenses during
the day and take them out before you go to bed each night.
8. Measure your lashes. Scientists have discovered that each animal species tends to have
lashes that are one-third the size of their eyes. When they’re longer, they actually funnel grit
into the eyes. It’s one more good reason to go easy on the mascara, and think twice before
buying lash extensions.
Many people depend on their eyesight as the sense they value most. Increase your eye comfort
and protect your vision by keeping your eyes lubricated. Visit an optometrist if the condition
aggravates. If you are looking for an Eye Clinic that prioritizes eye health, call us at one of our
locations to book an appointment and we’ll be happy to assist you.